Sunday, July 15, 2012

Paz Y Esperanza, Parte Dos: El Primer Dia - ¡Aye, No!

I've already gone into detail about my concerns heading into the Paz Y Esperanza day camp, yeah? Well, this post is going to be about the first day.

On Sunday, Jenna, Katelyn (the two other counselors on my day camp team), and I had met a few of the kids we'd be working with. On Monday, predictably, there were a lot more kids. There were even a few kids who never attended the church there, even. That's totally fine. That's actually great - maybe they'll learn something. There were two, though, that were not doing any learning. I honestly have no idea why they even showed up. All they did was cause problems. They wouldn't participate in any activity we did. Instead, they'd either go off by themselves and dink around or stay in the group and be disruptive. The helpers on the day camp were really surprised after the group those two kids were in finished their Bible study with me.

"Wow, they were so quiet! What did you do to them?" The weird thing is, they weren't quiet at all. I was horrified to think that maybe they weren't even trying to be disruptive and maybe later they would be trying.

"Well, if they didn't pay attention to me when I was reading, I'd start the whole reading over again, or if they couldn't tell me what I had just read, I'd make them read it to me." That actually worked kind of. I feel like they at least received the information, anyway. It didn't work to keep them quiet.

The two troublemakers also realized that Jenna, Katelyn, and I all struggle with Spanish, so they would speak Spanish to each other and then laugh and look around to see if they were going to get in trouble, which led me to believe that they were saying inappropriate things. I don't know why, but I'm bothered when people do things that warrant punishment but don't get punished. I tell myself it's because I'm really into justice, but I feel like I may have some sort of disorder. One time those two kids were off with a couple other kids while the rest were playing a game. I went over to stand by them to keep them in line (I'm really into justice, remember).

"Oh, Joe, what are you doing here?"

"I'm just over here so I can keep an eye on you guys."

"Which one?"

"You. And you, and you, and you, and-"

"Y tu, y tu, y tu..."

"Exactly."

"Wait, how do you know what that means?"

"I took Spanish in college," (just for two semesters, but I mean, come on. "Y tu, y tu, y tu?" I understand that).

"So you know what we've been saying?"

"Yeah, and you're lucky I'm letting it slide."

"Nah-uh. What am I saying now? 'Junior, vamonos.'"

"Junior, let's go."

"......"

Really? He's gonna test my Spanish comprehension with "vamonos"? I knew what that meant just from watching Dora the Explorer. It got them to stop speaking Spanish, though.

Near the end of the day, we had a song fest because the kids need to know the songs for the parents program at the end of the week. When we told the kids this, the two turds said they weren't going to come back. That was the happiest I was during the whole first day. I feel like this post is not doing an adequate job of explaining just how turdish these two kids were, so don't judge me.

Also, they didn't come back, and that was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment