Wednesday, August 1, 2012

License Renewal

I know it's eight days after my birthday, but I finally got my license renewed today. Since it took so long for me to actually get it done, I figured that things would go wrong once I actually made an effort to renew it. Well, nothing major went wrong, but there were definitely a few hiccups. These are those:

1. I thought I had to go to the courthouse to renew my license.
This makes sense, I think. I mean, that's how it is in Litchfield, where I'm from. I also thought I had to go to the courthouse because it was super convenient. Since I'm on a day camp, I spend most of my time at the church. Guess where the church is. Right across the street from the courthouse. So I went over to the courthouse and, since I'm not from Morris, I had no idea how to navigate my way through the courthouse. Luckily, A lady saw me staring at a map of the place in befuddlement and asked if I needed help.

"Yeah, actually. I'm looking to renew my driver's license...?" I tend to trail off and turn statements into questions frequently because I'm just very awkward in conversation settings. I can formulate fragments but then I get lost and just end everything with a "...?"

"Oh, you can't do that here. We do that at the (driver's license place)." I don't remember what she said, but it translates to "driver's license place" in Joe language. She went on to explain where that place was by saying that it was across the street from the post office and the library. That was really confusing because the post office and the library are on opposite sides of the street. Since I knew where the post office and the library were, though, I went in that direction.

2. The door to the driver's license place was "locked."
The License Bureau  (which is what the driver's license place was actually called (the helpful lady didn't call it that)) shares a building with an attorney's office, apparently. I hate when that happens because I'm never confident that I found the right place. That happened this time, but I figured you gotta risk it to get the biscuit, so I walked up to the building. The door said pull. I turned the knob. Well, I tried to turn the knob. It was locked! Confused and distraught, I continued walking around the block. I decided to go to the church without renewing my license, but before I got there I had a change of heart. I continued right around the block back to the Bureau/attorney's office. I looked at the "pull" sign again. I mean really looked at it. I examined the word and thought really hard about it. "Pull." Then it dawned on me: I should pull the door. So I did, without turning the knob! Miraculously, it opened right up and I walked in.

3. Camera malfunction.
I walked up to the counter and the lady asked if she could help me. "Ummm, I'm looking to renew my driver's license...? Is this- can I do that here?" I totally could, and she let me. I filled out the form and stuff and she told me to sit in front of the camera so it could take my picture. That happened. There was a problem though, and it started off as my bad. The lady said not to move until I saw the flash. I moved right before the flash. "That one is a little blurry, let's try again." So we tried again. I didn't move this time. "It's saying that one isn't sharp." That happened for the next three picture attempts. "Let's try it without the chair this time. Just stand there." I did, and it worked. I got my papers and left, and now I have an acceptable replacement for a driver's license.

No comments:

Post a Comment