Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fun With 9-1-1

There haven't been many interesting things that I've seen lately, but I wanted to write something. More accurately, my girlfriend wanted me to write something, so, I'm writing something. I also wanted to write something, though.

I was a pretty mischievous child when I was younger, though that's not saying much because I feel like every child is mischievous. My mischief took place mainly in calling 9-1-1 unnecessarily. There were three instances that I can recall, two of them with details. The one that I remember the most happened at my mom's house. I have no idea how old I was, but I was pretty young. My mom and I were outside. I think she was gardening, and I was probably goonin' all over the place. My mom went inside for something, and I stayed outside. A little while later, I ran inside. I had to tell my mom something. "Mom!" I yelled as I entered my house. She didn't answer. "Mom!" I yelled again. Still no answer. "MOOOOOOOOM! MOM! ...Mom? ...Mom?! MOM?! MOM!" I was in a panic. Where was my mom? Someone came and stole my mom! This was an emergency, and I learned to call 9-1-1 in an emergency. I frantically picked up the phone and dialed.

"9-1-1, what is your emergency?"

"Hello? Um, I can't find my mom."

"What?"

"I don't know where my mom is!"

"Okay, what is your name?"

"Um, Joe?"

"Okay, Joe, where did you last see your mom?"

"Well, we were outside, and then she came inside, and then I came inside, and I don't know where she is!" Just then my mom came in through the back door. "Oh! Never mind, I found her. Bye!" and I hung up on 9-1-1. "Mom! Where were you?!"

"I went next door to give something to Jan." Jan was our neighbor. After she said that, the phone rang. I answered. It was 9-1-1.

"Um, mom? It's for you."

The next incident that I remember was before my dad and my step-mom got married. My step-mom worked at the school in Becker, and one day my dad, sister, and I went to visit her. It was in the evening, so there was no one else at the school. I quickly got bored as my dad and step-mom talked, so I wandered off to explore the school. Whilst exploring, I came across a pay phone. "Hmm, I wonder if I don't pay for the call and dial 9-1-1, it'll go through." I tried it, and it rang. I hung up after the first ring. "Huh. I guess it does work," I thought, and that was that. About ten minutes later, a police officer arrived at the school. Since we were the only people there, he talked to us.

"Did any of you dial 9-1-1?" Everyone said no. I was terrified. I thought I'd be in so much trouble if it were to be discovered that I had dialed 9-1-1. "Huh. That's weird. We received a call from one of the phones here." Everyone thought it was weird except for me, but I played along. The four of us and the police officer investigated. We found footprints, actually, which was weird because the floors had been cleaned by the janitor before he left. The mystery was never solved, but I like to think I helped almost catch a bad guy.

The third incident I don't really remember, but it's a lot like the second one, but without the excitement. My dad, sister and I were at Central Park in Litchfield. I came across a pay phone. "Hmm, I wonder if I don't pay for the call and dial 9-1-1, it'll go through." I don't remember if this was before or after the Becker school incident, but regardless of which one came first, apparently I didn't learn anything from it. The same thing happened - it rang once, I hung up, police came. This time there were multiple officers though, but I think they showed up as we were leaving. I'm not sure. This is one is more of a blur in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment