Thursday, January 5, 2012

Driving Dilemma (We'll Meet Again)

Okay, so, this just happened:

I was sitting at home, just watching some TV, when I got a text from a friend. The text said something like, "My house at 8:30 if you're still on break!" and I thought, "Hey, I'm still on break! This applies to me!" So, at 8:15, I headed out the door to journey to my friend's house. It takes me about 35 minutes to get to his house in Litchfield from my house in Cold Spring. I was going to be a little late, but he'd get over it. I turned on my car and noticed the battery light was on. Well, I'm no mechanic, so I just thought, "Psh, whatever, Maxwell (that's what I named my car)! You turned on, so that's all that matters!" I got out of town and was going 59 mph with the cruise control on, jamming out to some tunes on my iPod, which was plugged into my car via an auxiliary cord. I had my brights on, you know, because it was dark, and I realized that my dashboard lights were a little bit dimmer than normal. I turned my brights off, and the dashboard lights got a bit brighter. "Ha, problem solved," I thought. I continued on my way for a few more miles, and I realized I was slowing down. I thought that was pretty weird, considering the cruise control was on. Then I realized that the cruise control had turned itself off. A few seconds later, the radio turned itself off. I decided I should call my dad to inform him of my current predicament, so, pulling off to the side of the road, I made the call to my dad and explained the situation.

"Where are you?" my dad asked.

"Um, on the side of the road."

"Well, yeah, but where are you?"

"Um, I don't know." There aren't many landmarks between Cold Spring and Litchfield, and the way I go, there aren't any towns, either. I knew where I was, but I didn't know how to explain it to my dad, so I just said, "I don't know." Sometimes I think people think I'm less intelligent than I actually am because I'll do things like this, but really, I'm more intelligent than they think I am, because I know they won't understand what I'm saying, because I'm so intelligent.

"Oh, well just come back home and call me if you don't make it." I'm pretty sure the "if you don't make it," was referring to if I don't make it back to town, not if I die.

About a minute after I turned around, my lights turned themselves off. Like, my headlights. Like, the things that allow me to see the road/where I'm going. So, I'm driving with no lights on at about 8:30 at night. It's dark. I can't see. There were no cars on the road when I was driving towards Litchfield. On my way back to Cold Spring, though, there definitely were cars on the road. Every single car that drove by me flashed their brights at me. Yes, I am aware that my lights are off, but who's in more danger, here? You, who can see the road and see me coming because you have lights, or me, who cannot see anything because A. my lights are off, and B. you're blinding me with your stupid high beams? That's right - me. Guess what - it's now more likely that you will die, because I might veer off into your lane because I can't see. Or, I might veer off into your lane because YOU ARE BLINDING ME WITH YOUR HIGH BEAMS AND I HOPE YOU DIE.

So, that was happening, and I was trying to maneuver my way back home. Everything in my car was not working. Well, that's not true. The brakes, the accelerator, and the steering wheel still worked. Until I got back to Cold Spring. As soon as I entered Cold Spring, the accelerator and the steering wheel stopped working. "This is highly unfortunate," I thought, because those are pretty vital parts to a car. I was going down a hill, though, so I thought maybe the accelerator not working wasn't a huge deal. Then I remembered that there was a turn coming up. I have no idea how I managed to will the car around that turn since the steering wheel didn't work, but I did. The car slowly coasted to a stop as I guided it safely to the side of the road. I called my dad. He came and gave me a jump start. As soon as he pulled the cables off of my car, though, the lights started to go dim again. "Quick! Jump in and give it some gas!" implored my dad. I jumped in, but instead of giving it some gas, I accidentally stepped on the brake, which immediately killed my car. Dejected and defeated, my dad told me to grab my stuff from my car and get into his. So there Maxwell still sits, alone and cold, with dead innards. Til we meet again, Maxwell...

Let's say goodbye with a smile, Maxwell,
Just for a while, Maxwell, we must part.
Don't let the parting upset you,
I'll not forget you, sweetheart.

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day.
Keep smiling through, just like you always do,
'Til the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away.
So I will say hello to the folks that you know,
I'll tell them you won't be long.
They'll be happy to know that as you saw me go,
I was singing this song.
After the rain comes the rainbow,
You'll see the rain go, never fear,
We two can wait for tomorrow,
Goodbye to sorrow, Maxwell, my dear.

"We'll Meet Again" - Vera Lynn, altered by Joe Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment