Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Motorcar Miracle (Reunited And It Feels So Good)

I'm back in Brookings for college, now. Guess how I got here. Aww yeah - I drove. Guess what I drove. Aww yeah - I drove Maxwell. "But I thought Maxwell was dead!" you may or may not be thinking. He was dead. So dead. Let me tell you what happened.

My dad found out about this guy just outside of Cold Spring who does good work with cars, called him up to inform him of my predicament, and told him we'd bring Maxwell out for him to fix. My dad and I went out to where Maxwell was laid to rest, applied some jumper cables, and let him charge up for about 15 minutes. It was about 10 miles to this guy's shop, so we figured one minute for each mile, plus an extra five minutes, just to be safe. Well, we weren't safe enough. Ol' Maxwell died again, probably 60 yards (I'm horrible at estimating. It could very well have been 12 feet - I have no idea) away from the shop. We pushed him the final few unknown amount of unknown units to the shop, and the guy said he'd bring it to this other guy, and only charge us what he had to pay + labor. My dad was telling me he anticipated $400 in the worst-case scenario. This guy said no more than $150, which was quite reassuring. It turned out that the alternator was completely dead. The guy said the brushes no longer had brushes on them, which I would guess is bad and probably counterproductive. Since this was the case, it ended up costing me $163. Being the eternal pessimist that I am, I was a bit distraught, because he said "no more than $150." Now, I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure $163 is greater than $150. On top of that, he informed me that the gas gauge and the temperature gauge were both not working. Temperature gauge...eh...I can handle that not working. The gas gauge, though? Really? That's a little problematic to not know how much gas I have. I wouldn't have been upset had he decided to fix that, too. I guess I can just refer to those failing gauges as Maxwell's battle wounds, though. It's so great to be reunited with my car!

I was a fool to ever leave your side
Me minus you is such a lonely ride
The breakup we had has made me lonesome and sad
I realize I love you
'Cause I want you bad, Maxwell

I spent the evening with the radio
Regret the moment that I let you go
Our mishap was such a way of learning so much
I know now that I love you
'Cause I need your wheels, Maxwell

Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There's one perfect fit
And, Maxwell, this one is it
We both are so excited
'Cause we're reunited, Maxwell

"Reunited And It Feels So Good" - Peaches & Herb, altered by Joe Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment