Monday, December 5, 2011

The Vikings Game Minus The Vikings Game

I went to the Vikings game yesterday. Your condolences are appreciated. I mean, don't get me wrong - it was fun and all, but seriously? Talk about heartbreak - and I know a thing or two about heartbreak. I'm not going to talk about the game that much, though. I'm going to talk more about the overall experience. So, I went to the game yesterday with my good friend, Mark. I'm fortunate enough to have a dad who graduated from North Central University. How is this a relevant factoid? Well, NCU is six blocks from the Metrodome, and since my dad is an alumnus, he can just call the school and ask if it's okay for me to park on campus, which it was. With Mark as my navigator, we found our way and parked. There was a car with a Wisconsin license plate in the parking lot. I left a space in between our cars so mine wouldn't smell as bad when we got back to the lot. After about two blocks of walking, I realized I should've worn a shirt underneath my sweatshirt, and I probably should've worn gloves. You'd think someone who has lived in Minnesota for 20 years would've gathered that it gets cold in December, but alas, I'm slow. Unable to feel my torso or hands, I, along with Mark, approached the stadium at Gate F. Ours was Gate E. Using logic, Mark suggested we go to the left, since E comes before F and we read left to right, which is actually really sound logic. However, logic was not part of the plans in constructing the Metrodome, as anyone who has ever been there would tell you. So we had to turn around. Upon arriving at our gate, it came to our attention that there is a new security procedure where the security guards have hand-held metal detectors, and the fans are supposed to have all electronics and metal items in their hands. Well, I couldn't feel my hands, so it took me a while to get my phone, keys, and iPod out of my pockets.
We made it to our seats, and behind us were two people, obviously. One was a guy. I couldn't tell if the other one was a young boy or the dude's girlfriend. I didn't look at them, I was just hearing what they were saying. The questionable person sounded like a young boy, but used very colorful language. I became sad that a young boy would use such language, but then I thought, "Maybe it's the guy's girlfriend, but she has a weird voice." Well, two older dudes came along and informed them that the seats Mr. Guy and Questionable Companion were sitting in belonged to the two older gentlemen. I turned to watch them leave, and the questionable one was, in fact, the dude's girlfriend. Or sister, I guess. Or friend. She was a girl of similar age. I'm really glad those two older guys sat behind us. I'm pretty sure they were BFFs and one was a Broncos fan, and the other was a Vikings fan. They were arguing and ripping on each other the whole game. It was fantastic.
Something that wasn't as fantastic was that there was a guy there in a Packers jersey and a Packers hat. Why? Just...why? Your team isn't even playing in this game. I feel like he was the owner of that Wisconsin car in the parking lot. In that moment, I hated Packer fans even more than I did before. I wouldn't be surprised if this tool was a Vikings season ticket holder. That's the kind of thing a Packer fan would do. They think that just because they're team is better than everyone else's team (which it is, I hate to admit), they are also better than everyone else.* After Denver kicked the game winning field goal, for some reason, the Vikings "fight song" - or whatever you want to call it - began to play. I was confused. That was not the correct time to play that song. We had just lost. Defeated, disappointed, but not surprised, we trudged back to my car, and realized we couldn't leave using the same directions that got us to the Dome because of one-ways and whatnot. So, like a boss, I drove towards the Metrodome in an attempt to leave the area. This is when I learned that driving towards the Metrodome is a horrible strategy for leaving the area. It took us about an hour to drive maybe five miles. AND People honked at me. The audacity of some people in the cities, I tell ya.
*Not ALL Packer fans are like this. I know some nice ones. The majority, however, are like this. Just calling it like I see it, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment