Monday, December 12, 2011

What Could Have Been: A Tale Of A Midnight Breakfast

Finals week is upon us. Or, it's upon me, at least, and my fellow Jackrabbits of South Dakota State (my roommate and I agree that it should be changed from "Jackrabbits" to "Fightin' Hobos," but that story is for another time. Actually, that's the whole story. I just told it). Last night/this morning, at the cafeteria, there was a free breakfast for students. I believe most colleges have this, so if you went to college, you know what I'm talking about. Ours is referred to as the Midnight Breakfast (I totally just made that up. I have no idea to what it's referred as. By me, it's referred to as the Midnight Breakfast, and that's all that really matters here). Oddly, the Midnight Breakfast started at 11:00. At around that time, one of my roommates informed my other roommate and I about the impending luncheon that was actually a breakfasteon, then left. About twenty minutes later, we decided to go get some free breakfast food. I suppose I should have bypassed the Midnight Breakfast in favor of studying for my final the next day (today), but I mean, seriously. Free food > studying. Every time.
So my roommate and I got in his car and drove over to campus. We drove around looking for a close place to park and finally found one in the parking lot a dorm that is connected to the cafeteria. The second set of doors to the dorm, however, were locked. We knocked on the doors for a couple of minutes until, finally, a guy walked by. He looked at us and laughed. Then kept walking. Seriously? I was legitimately angry with this guy. Why would he not open the door? I can't even think of a sarcastic reason to put here. Probably because I'm still angry and not thinking clearly. Anyway, a few minutes later, a true gentleman came and opened the door for us. We went to the cafeteria and saw that there was a huge line. I bet if that first guy would've let us in right away there wouldn't have been a huge line. We waited for a few minutes and did not move at all. We then decided that Perkins was a much better option, so we left.
On our way to Perkins, we realized that Perkins costs money. Then we realized that Wal-Mart is right next to Perkins and, though Wal-Mart also costs money, is a lot cheaper. We went directly to the doughnut (donut?) section. Boxes of doughnuts were just $4. BOXES of doughnuts. We split a box. I ate two, and then I felt sick. Then, our other roommate came home and informed us that we "really missed out!" which, oddly enough, did not make me feel better.
So, just to recap, some jerk wouldn't let us in the building that was hosting the free breakfast. Consequently (not really), we didn't get a free, delicious breakfast, but, instead, paid for food that made me sick. *Sigh* What could have been...

No comments:

Post a Comment